Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Work-At-Home Mommy

Working from home has its advantages as well as disadvantages. One of the things that I love the most about working from home is being able to wear whatever I want. Pijamas, no matter. I also love not having to drive to an office, spending money on gas, tolls, lunches and what not. Instead I just walk right into my office and voila I am at work. The most challenging part that I have found while working for Language Line has been the schedule. I elected to go for the graveyard schedule over the weekends and so my weekends are shut. Saturdays I am up at 6:45am leave to go to work at the post office until 12:15pm and then home to rest for a few, make dinner and be ready to work at 7pm. Due to the fact that I am working typically until 3:30am, I find it really hard to function the next day. Although my body seems to be getting used to the very strange schedule I am on right now, my mind doesn't like it one bit.

Another thing I have found challenging is maintaining a good voice after it's past a certain hour. That is something that I will have to work on as I go along. Since my performance largely depends on how I project my voice, it is imperative that I find solutions to keep it from getting hoarse. Some recommendations are a warm cup of tea. Having something warm pass through your cords can be soothing and healing. However, tea can also induce tiredness and the need to sleep! Perhaps my next best choice is honey, some halls, and drinking plenty of water.

The kids also need some adjustment to the new dynamics of our family. Occassionally they walk into my office while I am working or they might be too loud in the kitchen. They assume that when I say "mommy has to work now" that I am actually leaving and going into the office. They are used to the idea that I work at the post office, but now I am also working at home. And although I say I am working they find it hard to believe because, well, mommy is still home. The baby especially has been hard to break. She loves to sleep with me (I know she is 4 now and should be sleeping on her own, what do you want from me?) and misses the warmth of mommy. Sometimes she wakes up at 3am and I have to quickly go comfort her and run right back to my phone.

By the end of the weekend and into Monday I am typically worn and groggy. And as much as I would love to hit the bed, instead I get up at 7:30am get the kids ready for school and head out the door with them. With Gia now in school sure I could go home and take a 2 hour nap, but I am afraid I might over sleep. Once I pick her up from school at noon, I go home hang out with her or run errands until it's time to pick up the boys. In between I attend to any appointments I might have scheduled for the day (heck why not just get them done while I am at it). By the time 5 o'clock comes around I am literally dead, but my day is yet to be over. I still have dinner to make, baths to give (most of the time I make the little ones skip Mondays bath), bed time snacks, and well the dishes they just have to wait. Finally at 9pm I might watch some television and by 10 hit the bed. The rest of the week, of course if I am not required for duty at the post office, I make up for the sleep I lost. Only to start the whole cycle all over again over the weekend. In between all of this I also still have to find time for my chores, and some intimate time with hubby.

As much as I would like to complain, I reap the benefits two weeks later when my paycheck hits my account.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Custom Search


Try not to become a man of success but a man of value.
-Albert Einstein

If you would create something, you must be something.
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


Twitter Updates 2.2.1: FeedWitter


Living the Simple Life | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates